Psoriasis Treatment in Katy, Sugar Land and Houston, Texas
Psoriasis is a recalcitrant autoimmune disorder that affects the skin, nails and joints. Psoriasis is an inherited condition composed of red scaly patches and plaques that predominantly involve scalp, elbows, knees, calves, umbilicus, genitals and buttocks.
Psoriatic lesions can be very uncomfortable and could potentially undermine the self-esteem. Luckily, there is a wide array of therapeutic options depending on the body surface area affected and at Houston Dermatology and Plastic Surgery, we are determined to provide you with the best assessment and treatment plan according to your needs.
We have vast experiencing managing topical corticosteroids, non-steroidal topical immunomodulators, phototherapy, and systemic immunomodulators (methotrexate, acitretin, adalimumab (Humira), etanercept (Enbrel), ustekinumab (Stelara), secukinumab (Cosentyx), apremilast (Otezla), among others.
Standard recommendations for the management of psoriasis include the following:
- Aggressive lubrication of the psoriatic plaques with thick emollients.
- Use of keratolytic (salicylic acid) and coal-tar based shampoos for the scalp a few times per week.
- Avoid scratching or picking at individual lesions.
- Judicious use of topical corticosteroids in order to avoid complications such as skin atrophy, adrenal suppression, among others.
- Coordination with your primary care physician about glucose and blood pressure monitoring, weight loss strategies, and risk stratification for ischemic heart disease.